student visa, CPT, OPT, F-1 visa


If you are an international student in the U.S., you are most likely familiar with terms such as student visas, CPT, or OPT. In a reality where visas and certain immigration status is a prerequisite for a student's stay in the U.S., an international student has no choice but to be informed about current U.S. immigration law. If you are thinking about studying in the U.S., currently a student studying in the U.S., or now seek to extend your stay in the U.S. for employment or other purposes, we hope to serve as your go-to resource for all of your immigration related matters!


Prospective Students

Are you a citizen of a foreign country and have been thinking of studying abroad in the United States?  Unless you are intending to take a class or two on a recreational basis, you will need to obtain a student visa to study in the U.S. Depending on the specific type of academic program, you will most likely need to obtain either a F-1 or M-1 Visa. 

  • F-1 Visa


A majority of the students who study in the U.S. do so with a F-1 visa. In order to qualify for a F-1 visa, the international student must intend to enroll in an academic program (often with a core academic curriculum) on a full-time basis at a U.S. university, college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory or another academic institution, including English language programs. This includes traditional undergraduate programs, graduate programs, and doctorate programs. The student will generally be allowed to remain in the United States for the entire duration of his or her program of study. 

  • M-1 Visa

Some international students qualify for a M-1 visa. In order to obtain a M-1 visa, the student will need to intend to enroll in a technical program at a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language program. Some vocational programs may include flight schools, culinary programs, acting programs, mechanical or technical study programs, or cosmetology programs. For students who are on M-1 visa, they are generally only allowed to remain in the United States for 


In order to qualify for the student visas mentioned above, the students must also show that they are financially able to support themselves throughout the entire course of study in the United States. Additionally, the students must show that they intend to only temporarily stay in the U.S. for educational purposes.  Keep in mind that since a student visa is a not a dual-intent visa (you can't show that you also intend to stay permanently in the U.S.), you also need to prove that you intend to depart the U.S. once your program is over. Click below for general guidance on applying for a student visa.


Current Students




Beyond School